Thursday, July 21, 2011

obsessed

bows, bows and more bows. lets be honest, i'm not much of a crafter. i usually prefer to just buy the overpriced item rather than take the time to try and make it. i know, shame on me. i bought these adorable itty bitty newborn bows for kate before she was born. to. die. for. they are so stinkin cute and tiny. once i used them them and saw how amazing they were, i planned to buy them in every color. even at $3.50 a pop. i know i know, shame on me again. then my damn dog (that's not his name? weird) decided to eat the pink and purple one. what! you just ate $7 dollars worth of felt cuteness! stupid dog! seeing that the turnover rate for these bows may add up quickly, i decided to try and make them. i bought felt in every color and with some tips from my crafty friends, i succeeded.


so you too don't succumb to overpriced yet exceptionally cute felt bows, i bring you my first (and last? ) crafting tutorial.

1. take felt of choice
2. cut out a piece about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick
3. put a dab of hot glue in the middle and cinch the felt together, let glue dry completely
4. fold each side back and secure with hot glue

4. after both sides are glued back, cut the back piece of each side to the shape of your liking
5. cut out a thin piece of felt about an inch long and a quarter of an inch wide

6. glue thin strip on back of bow. once it is dry, wrap around bow and glue other side down.
7. cut out two pieces of felt about 1/2 inch in length and width. cut to angle sides and ends.
8. glue angled pieces on each side of the back of the bow.


9. ta-da, cute bow.
10. make in any freakin' color you want, for basically free! 15 cents per sheet of felt is basically free. eat up, toby.

with the exception of the red one, i made all of the bows in the picture and i think they turned out pretty similar. the felt she used seems to be a little better quality and not quite as fluffy as mine, so next time time i'll try a denser felt.

tips: dried hot glue is ugly so be careful to use only on areas that will be covered up or your bow will be crusty. don't do a tan bow, it looks like a ball of tan poop on babies head. the website says to attach bows with a dab of karo syrup or ky; karo syrup worked a lot better for me.

3 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

since i'm too lazy to break out the bow bag, why don't you go ahead and make some for me. in every color. ok thanks.

Heather said...

haha, thanks for the tip of the tan bow... I don't want my baby looking like she has a piece of dookie on her head. You are SOO crafty!!! You didn't even have to use wire! So cool! You are so good at making bows. I can't wait for you to make me a ton of bows when I have my baby! haha. Love you!

Soelbergs said...

Katherine - those are SOOO super cute! Can't wait to try them with Alexis. As a side note, I use elmers glue on my baby's head. Works the BEST!