Thursday, January 31, 2008

HILARIOUS!!!!!

okay so i stole this from aly monsons blog, but it was TOO funny to not share. i dont have kids yet so i probably cant appreciate this to its fullest, but it still had me laughing out loud. enjoy!:

A 3-year-old tells all from his mother's restroom stall.
By Shannon Popkin

My little guy, Cade, is quite a talker. He loves to communicate and does it quite well. He talks to people constantly, whether we're in the library, the grocery store, or at a drive-thru window. People often comment on how clearly he speaks for a just-turned-3-year-old, and you never have to ask him to turn up the volume. It's always fully cranked. There've been several embarrassing times that I've wished the meaning of his words would have been masked by a not-so-audible voice, but never have I wished this more than last week at Costco.

Halfway through our shopping trip, nature called, so I took Cade with me into the restroom. If you'd been one of the ladies in the restroom that evening, this is what you would have heard coming from the second~to~the~last stall:

"Mommy, are you gonna go potty? Oh! Why are you putting toi wet pa per on the potty, Mommy? Oh! You gonna sit down on DA toiwet paper now? Mommy, what are you doing? Mommy, are you gonna go stinkies on the potty?"

At this point, I started mentally counting how many women had been in the bathroom when I walked in. Several stalls were full ... 4? 5? Maybe we could wait until they all left, before I had to make my debut out of this stall and reveal my identity. Cade continued, "Mommy, you ARE going stinkies, aren't you? Oh, dats a good girl, Mommy! Are you gonna get some candy for going stinkies on the potty? Let me see doze stinkies, Mommy! Oh .. Mommy! I'm trying to see in dere. Oh! I see dem. Dat is a very good girl, Mommy. You are gonna get some candy!"

I heard a few faint chuckles coming from the stalls on either side of me. Where is a screaming newborn when you need her? Good grief. This was really getting embarrassing. I was definitely waiting a long time before exiting.

Trying to divert him, I said, "Why don't you look in Mommy's purse and see if you can find some candy. We'll both have some!" "No, I'm trying to see doze more stinkies. Oh! Mommy!" He started to gag at this point. "Uh oh, Mommy. I fink I'm gonna frow up. Mommy, doze stinkies are making me frow up!! Dat is so gross!!" As the gags became louder, so did the chuckles outside my stall. I quickly flushed the toilet, in hopes of changing the subject. I began to reason with myself: "OK. There are four other toilets. If I count four flushes, I can be reasonably assured that those who overheard this embarrassing monologue will be long gone."

"Mommy! Would you get off the potty, now? I want you to be done going stinkies! Get up! Get up!" He grunted as he tried to pull me off.

Now I could hear full-blown laughter. I bent down to count the feet outside my door. "Oh, are you wooking under dere, Mommy? You wooking under DA door? What were you wooking at, Mommy? You wooking at the wady's feet?" More laughter. I stood insid e the locked door and tried to assess the situation. "Mommy, it's time to wash our hands, now. We have to go out now, Mommy." He started pounding on the door. "Mommy, don't you want to wash your hands? I want to go out!!" I saw that my "wait 'em out" plan was unraveling.

I sheepishly opened the door, and found, standing outside my stall, twenty to thirty ladies crowded around the stall, all smiling and starting to applaud. My first thought was complete embarrassment, then I thought, "Where's the fine print on the 'motherhood contract', where I signed away every bit of my dignity and privacy?"

But as my little boy gave me a big, cheeky grin, while he rubbed bubbly soap between his chubby little hands, I thought, "I'd sign it all away again, just to be known as Mommy to this little fellow."

7 comments:

Samye said...

Love it!

themacdonnells said...

That is soooo funny and SOOOO true!!! You'll probably forget this email and then 2-4 years down the line it will all come back to you! :)

knjfabela said...

Katherine,

It is Kara Brown Fabela. I have been reading your blog from Samye's and finally decided I needed to leave a comment. It is so good to read how y'all are doing. I used to talk with Ashley about you but I don't see her anymore. This story was so funny I had to read it out loud to Joey. He laughed the entire time. (He usually isn't amused by stories about kids he doesn't know but this was to good.) Thanks for thrusting me into the future to what is ahead. Is it okay if I add you to my blog page?

Kara

The Himmer Family said...

holy cow... that is hilarious!! Mother of the year!!

Becky Rogers said...

That was so funny. I don't have one at the talking age yet, but I can see that happening to me. Kids are hilarious! Hey, how is your New Year's resolution of working out going?

Em said...

Hey, I want to see a pic of your pretty hair do! I'm trying to grow mine out....

Amber Larsen said...

hey i need an upadate :) with pictures!! love you